Dental crowns are cap-like restorations that are put over a tooth by your dentist to make sure that it is restored to the same size, shape, and functionality. It is an artificial restoration that is added on to a broken or damaged tooth, thereby restoring it to its original state.
Advantages of dental crowns
- Dental crowns help cover broken and cracked teeth.
- Dental crowns protect your tooth from decaying and cavities by acting as a shield.
- If a person undergoes a root canal therapy, it is advised to get a dental crown to restore it.
- A person who gets a dental implant would be fitted with a crown to restore the visible tooth structure. It allows them to bite and chew food without any hassle.
- If a person is suffering from cosmetic dental issues such as misshapen, chipped, or excessively spaced teeth, a dental crown would be the best option to restore their happy smile.
Procedure for getting a dental crown
The patient will have to visit the dentist at least twice to get a permanent dental crown. During the initial visit, the dentist will have to screen the oral cavity and make a mold of the tooth. During the next appointment, the permanent crown will be placed.
- Initially, the dentist will have to examine the tooth. Factors such as decay, damage, excessive spaces, cracks, chipping, etc. will be taken into account.
- Once the candidacy is confirmed, the dentist would start the procedure by numbing the tooth and the gum tissues using local anesthesia.
- In order to make the impression of the tooth, a thin layer of material will be removed from around it to make space for the crown. In some cases, the dentist may reduce the size of the tooth to add the crown on its surface.
- A highly precise mold of the tooth will be taken to serve as a reference for fabricating the crown.
- The mold will be sent to the lab so that the crown can be fabricated with great attention to detail. Till then, the dentist may place a temporary crown in its place.
- The dentist removes the temporary crown and cleans the teeth.
- The dentist would then place the permanent crown on the tooth and check if it matches the shape and size of the tooth.
- Once the crown fits perfectly over the tooth, it will be bonded with the help of dental adhesives. It may be polished to enhance aesthetics.
To have a consultation with our dentists, please schedule an online appointment or call us, and we will be happy to help.